Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Books of Summer


The joys of summer are here and so far, it's been a great summer for my prom date and I. Do you recall the days in school when the school librarian would give a student who wanted to participate in reading books during the summer break? I enjoyed that so much and read many books during my elementary school years. As a result, I am now an avid reader and enjoy many genres of books. 

My favorite type of books are the wonderful 1930's - 1960's novels with wonderful artwork on the dust jackets or the sweet paperback novels meant for teenage girls of yesteryear. I love to head out to my favorite thrift store shops to search for those treasures and let me tell you, I go through every book to find those adorable dust jackets. I've read all the classics so now that I'm fifty-two years old, my focus is to read all those darling books and be charmed by their innocent content. 

The three books in the photo are what I am currently reading. All are from either the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I just finished Come Be My Love and it was just charming. My next book read will be Lady Bird Johnson; A White House Diary. I cannot wait to start on this one because I am a Texas girl and she of course, is the reason we have all of the wildflowers down in the Texas Hill Country to ooh and ahh over. 

Mama Made Minks is a book that I found way back in the late eighties and I lost it when my husband and I moved into an apartment. Years later when we moved to San Antonio in 2003, I went to a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store and found a copy. I was so excited and eager to read it but never got around to do so. Now that I am a stay at home girl, I have all the time in the world to read these wonderful pages of words that had been closed for so many years.

No comments: