Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Raspberry Jewels From Alaska


My baby sister Laurie lives in Alaska with her family. In addition to her two beautiful daughters, she's also got chickens, dogs, bears a husband and a moose. And RASPBERRIES! That's right, fresh raspberries fresh off the vine. Aren't they lovely? The colors variate and I'm positive that they are delicious! My sister sent me this photo from her phone the other day. She's got wild raspberries growing in her yard and wanted to share what she had found. They look yummy!

Summer is such a beautiful time of the year and having fresh picked fruit from your own yard is so fascinating to me. When I was growing up, we had cherry trees, green apple tree, peach trees, pecan tree and one pear tree. Our neighbors, the Yates, had the tree that I call, Food of the Unicorn! The pomegranate! Those little pips inside are like little red ruby jewels just waiting to pop their decadent nectar inside of your mouth. How wonderful it would be to sit on a blanket in your own backyard, eating fruit from your trees or bushes and reading a good book. Sounds good to me!

4 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

HI Deanna!

Yes, we made the move west to live close to our children and grandchildren. We love it in Colorado and every now and then go back to NYC for a visit.

I love fresh raspberries! My son has raspberry bushes in his backyard and we enjoy them all summer!

Deanna said...

I need to see about planting some in our backyard. We have a crab apple tree but alas, it is only ornamental. I would really love to have blueberries and raspberries and perhaps some strawberries. I think I will make it my goal to accomplish that for next summer.

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

Oh how I wish I could have a big backyard to grow fruits and do exactly that,.. Reading a good book while munching your own harvest.. Maybe not in our Bristol home, but soon in our home in Baras.. We'll be home in Sept and I'll definitely show you our tropical harvest like mango, avocado and guavas.. Thanks for the enlightening blog dear friend Deanna... Hugs to you..

Deanna said...

Sounds good to me, Loida! :D